Match Report: Yeovil Town 0-1 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 31/10/2011
Anton Robinson's first goal for Huddersfield Town was enough to see off Yeovil Town at Huish Park but despite being bottom of npower League One, The Glovers gave Town a real scare.Match Report: Yeovil Town 0-1 Huddersfield Town

With ten minutes remaining Yeovil goalkeeper Marek Stech parried Scott Arfield's shot and Lee Novak got enough on the ball to put it into the path of Robinson who gladly tapped in from six yards out.

Town boss Lee Clark made three changes from the side that drew 2-2 with Scunthorpe United last Tuesday night. Full back Calum Woods was back from a one match suspension to fill in at left back in place of Gary Naysmith, Antony Kay was dropped to the bench giving Liam Cooper a first league start and winger Danny Ward was favoured for Gary Roberts.

Yeovil's 4-3-3 formation gave Town a particular headache and after a slip from Jack Hunt it took Liam Cooper to deny Kieran Agard an opportunity at goal with a superb tackle.

Strikers Jordan Rhodes and Alan Lee were against a tough pair in Bondz N'Gala and former Sheffield Wednesday defender Darren Purse but the strikers determination led to Arfield having a chance that flew over the bar.

Peter Clarke was on had to block a shot after Yeovil broke from a Town corner whilst at the other end The Terriers had the best chance of the half to take the lead.
Ward was tripped down the left flank by Luke Ayling, the winger took the free-kick himself which found Rhodes at the far post but Stech was alert and tipped the ball smartly over the bar.

Gary Roberts replaced Ward at the break and the former Ipswich man delivered a superb cross that saw Alan Lee head wide. The striker then received his fifth booking of the season after arguing with the referee after a challenge on Nathan Jones, the target man will now miss the home match on Saturday against Walsall.

Ed Upson hit a snapshot just wide of the Town goal in a rare Yeovil attack and Jones had a effort that flew across the face of goal but the home side nearly took the lead midway through the second half.
An Upson free-kick from near the corner flag was headed back into the centre of the goal by Purse at the far post and midfielder Dominic Blizzard hit the bar with a half volley. A follow-up by Upson was hit harmlessly wide.

Robinson replaced Damien Johnson on 72 minutes and with ten minutes to go the midfielder was on hand to give Town the eventual winner. Woods' pass to Arfield saw the Scotsman fire a superb curling shot towards goal but Stech palmed it away at full stretch. The ball ricocheted off Lee Novak, who was on as a sub for Alan Lee, falling into the path of Robinson who had the simple task of a tap in.

The home side tried to hit back immediately with Oli Johnson's deflected drive coming back off the woodwork and falling to safety.

Rhodes had a chance in the dying moments from a Town break but goalkeeper Stech was out quickly to deny the striker.

The Terriers didn't play particularly well, even manager Lee Clark admitted it after the match, but Town dug in and rode their luck and came back to West Yorkshire with a precious three points.

Sean's Star Man - Liam Cooper
Excellent defending throughout the match after being given his first league start of the season.


Yeovil: Stech, Ayling, N'Gala, Purse, Jones, Upson, Wotton, Johnson, Blizzard, Agard (O'Brien 84), Massey.
Subs not used: Edgar, Gilbert, Stewart, Gibson.

Town: Bennett, Hunt, Clarke, Cooper, Woods, Ward (Roberts 46), Johnson (Robinson 73), Miller, Arfield, Rhodes, Lee (Novak 62).
Subs not used: Colgan, Kay.

Attendance: 3,486 (533 Town fans)
Referee: D Whitestone.


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011