Report: Huddersfield Town 1-1 Carlisle United

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 31/12/2011
Huddersfield Town ended the year 2011 with a laboured 1-1 draw against Carlisle United at the Galpharm Stadium. The Terriers have only one once in their last four matches since Charlton Athletic ended the unbeaten run back at the end of November.Report: Huddersfield Town 1-1 Carlisle United

Lee Clark made two changes from the side that beat Chesterfield 1-0 at the Galpharm on Boxing Day. Surprisingly Danny Cadamarteri was given his first start ahead of both Danny Ward and Donal McDermott, who were not even on the bench, it was also Cadamarteri's first start in the league since March.
A forced change was made as defender Alex Bruce as recalled by parent club Leeds so Peter Clarke, back from suspension, partnered Antony Kay in the centre of the defence.

The visitors made a good start to the match and took the lead as early as the 8th minute. Jack Hunt's slide tackle failed to knock the ball off Francios Zoko and the striker's cut back just inside of the Town box found midfielder Liam Noble who easily dispatched into the net.

Town could have equalized almost immediately when Lee Novak chased a lost cause but overran the ball in the Carlisle penalty area but the ball fell kindly to Gary Roberts unmarked but the winger's shot failed to hit the target when it seemed easily to hit it on target.

Cadmarteri used to has pace and power down the right flank and gave the Carlisle left back Matty Robson a headache and the winger did well in tracking back to block Robson from going on the attack.

Carlisle defender Lubomir Michalik forced Ian Bennett into a good save as the defender hit a fierce shot from 25 yards out that was neatly palmed away by Bennett. At the other end Novak forced Adam Collin into a save and from the resulting corner Kay had a header that was blocked on the line by former Town midfielder James Berrett.

Berrett then drove at the heart of the Town defence as they just stood and watched him but the former Town man decided not to shoot which allowed Clarke to clear but the ball fell to Liam Noble who drove a shot straight at Bennett.

Town equalized on the 38th minute through top scorer and the highly wanted Jordan Rhodes (who else?). Town pressed high in the Carlisle half forcing a defender into a mistake and Tommy Miller laid the ball into Rhodes' path just inside the penalty area and the striker calmly dispatched past Collin.

Rhodes nearly doubled his tally a minute later but the ball appeared to be blocked by the arm of a Carlisle player but the referee ignored any claims for a Town penalty. Seconds before the first half finished a long ball up field caught Hunt cold which allowed Zoko to bare down on goal but his shot was straight at Bennett.

Town started the second half brighter than they were in the first, Rhodes low drilled cross saw Peter Murphy deny Novak with an effort at the near post and then a minute later Collin produced a point-blank save to deny Novak after smart work down the right from Cadamarteri.

A poor clearance by Bennett saw Berrett capitalise with the midfielder racing towards goal beating Clarke along the way but Gary Naysmith managed to block the midfielder's shot and Bennett denied Noble on the rebound.

Alan Lee was thrown on for Novak with 20 minutes to go and he almost had an immediate impact as his flicked on header set Rhodes on his way but the striker's shot flew wide of Collin's post.

A Town free-kick was not dealt with by Carlisle which saw Oscar Gobern's chipped cross hit the bar and from the rebound Gary Roberts fired across the face of goal.

Clarke then had a long range effort that Collin failed to hold in the wet conditions as the ball squirmed away for a corner and then Clarke was in the thick of again with some superb defending to deny Lee Miller a chance at goal.

With one minute to goal sub Scott Arfield played Rhodes through on goal with a neat pass, the striker took the ball around Collin but his shot flew inches wide of the post to the agony of the Town fans.

Sean's Star Man – Danny Cadmarteri
Deserved his man of the match with a decent performance on the right flank. Used his pace and strength well and tracked back to help out his teammates.


Town: Bennett, Hunt, P Clarke, Kay, Naysmith, Cadamarteri (Arfield 78), Gobern, Miller, Roberts, Rhodes, Novak (Lee 71).
Subs not used: Colgan, T Clarke, Parkin.

Carlisle: Collin, Ribeiro, Michalik, Murphy, Robson, Berrett, Thirlwell, Noble, McGovern, Miller, Zoko
Subs not used: Livesey, Madden, Taiwo, Gillespie, McKenna.

Referee: Michael Naylor
Attendance: 13,962.


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011