Report: Wycombe Wanderers 0-6 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 07/01/2012
Jordan Rhodes just cannot stop scoring as the striker smashed five goals past the hapless Wycombe Wanderers in a 6-0 win at Adams Park live in front of the Sky TV cameras.Report: Wycombe Wanderers 0-6 Huddersfield Town

Named December's npower League One player of the month, Rhodes' five goals against The Chairboys takes his goals tally to an astonishing 27 goals so far this season and on this form he looks unstoppable.

Once Oscar Gobern's header went in after 10 minutes the floodgates opened and everything Rhodes hit flew into the net as Wycombe sunk without a trace. The Chairboys must hate playing against The Terriers, specially in front of the Sky cameras as both have ended in 6-0 defeats.

After Town threw away a two goal lead to draw with Notts County on Monday Lee Clark made four changes. Jamie McCombe was back in the starting XI after a loan spell at Preston North End, Danny Ward was brought back into the squad in place of Danny Cadamarteri, Tommy Miller came back from injury and replaced Anton Robinson in midfield and Lee Novak started up front ahead of Alan Lee.

Town started brightly with Rhodes having a shot straight at Nikki Bull and on 10 minutes Novak's long range effort was excellently parried away by Bull for a Town corner.

From the resulting corner, Roberts' set-piece found Gobern and the midfielder's powerful header found the back of the net despite a Wycombe defender's best efforts on the line.

Wycombe's dangerman Marcello Trotta, on loan from Fulham, showed some neat touches and played a nice one-two down the Town left to cut inside of Gary Naysmith but his shot lacked any real power and was a straightforward save for Ian Bennett.

Town took a two goal lead on 19 minutes as Rhodes struck his first of the match. Neat play between Novak and Jack Hunt resulting in the young right-back delivering an excellent cross into the Wycombe box which saw Rhodes getting ahead of James Tunnicliffe and to score from close range.

Gary Roberts should have made it three five minutes later. Wycombe lost of the ball deep in their own half leaving a massive gap in their backline and Novak fed Roberts through on goal but the winger's chipped effort flew harmlessly over the bar.

Sure enough it was that man again Jordan Rhodes who made it three just a minute later. Novak's ball over the top just inside his own half saw Rhodes going shoulder-to-shoulder with Grant Basey, the striker showed great strength in holding off Basey and the striker slid the ball through Bull's legs to notch his second of the match.

The home side lacked any real threat and boos were heard as Rhodes put Town 3-0 ahead. Wycombe has no answers as Town looked like they would score on every attack. McCombe should have scored as he failed to get his header on target from a Roberts' corner and the latter tested Bull in the Wycombe goal with a nice curled shot from the right that Bull tipped away from danger.

The second half was same as the first and Rhodes wrapped up his hat-trick on 50 minutes. The referee Steve Tanner played his part as he block Wycombe's forward pass and the ball fell into the path of Novak who slid his strike partner and having his first attempt blocked by Bull, Rhodes tapped the ball into the empty net.

Wycombe looked all over the show and Rhodes scored his forth of the match as Town strode into a 5-0 lead on 58 minutes. Danny Ward skipped past both Anthony McNamee and Basey before firing a 25 yard effort at goal. Bull smartly parried the shot but unfortunately for Wycombe straight into the path of Rhodes who's quick reactions saw him tap the ball into the net.

Town just kept on going and Wycombe brought off Trotta replacing him with defender John Halls and the veteran Gareth Ainsworth was brought on for McNamee.

Sure enough on 69 minutes Town made it six and Rhodes got his fifth of the match. Roberts played in Ward down the left and his low cross was fired into the net from close range by Rhodes.

Wycombe striker Stuart Beavon probably had the best chance the home side had all match to grab a goal with ten minutes left. Squirming his way into the box from the left the striker had a shot that flew into the side netting and moments later Beavon shrugged off Clarke but his shot flew harmlessly wide.

Ainsworth nearly scored a total fluke with five minutes to go. The veteran winger broke away down the right and his cross caught the wind and rattled the far post before Clarke cleared to safety.

Wycombe fell to 23rd place and look it rest of the season could be long and hard for The Chairboys as Town rose to 3rd in the npower League One. I thought Novak played well and his performance deserved a goal but I'm sure they will come for the Geordie striker.

Sean's Star Man – Jordan Rhodes
Again who else? Simply unstoppable at the moment.


Wycombe: Bull, Foster, Tunnicliffe, Johnson (McCoy 53), Basey, McNamee (Ainsworth 64), Bloomfield, Lewis, Grant, Beavon, Trotta (Halls 64).
Subs not used: Harris, Strevens.

Town: Bennett, Hunt, P Clarke, McCombe, Naysmith, Ward (T Clarke 89), Gobern, Miller, Roberts (Cadamarteri 75), Rhodes, Novak.
Subs not used: Colgan, Lee, Robinson.

Attendance: 4,465
Referee: Steve Tanner


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011