Report: Cardiff City 1-0 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 19/08/2012
An injury time winner from Cardiff's Mark Hudson stole all three points and stole a deserved point from Town as they battled and had chances themselves.Report: Cardiff City 1-0 Huddersfield Town

Cardiff hardly tested Town goalkeeper Alex Smithies during the 90 minutes but defender Hudson fired in a knock down in the Town penalty area in the 91st minute to steal all three points for the South Wales side.

Town had some chances themselves but found Bluebirds goalkeeper David Marshall in top form as the former Celtic goalkeeper walked away with the man-of-the-match award.

The Terriers had Oliver Norwood, Joel Lynch, Sean Scannell and Jordan Rhodes back from midweek international duty. The first three played but Rhodes, who scored his first international goal for Scotland against Australia, was out with a hamstring injury but the rumour trying to make a circuit is that he was left out because he is to be sold to Blackburn Rovers. Lee Novak played in place of Rhodes in a 4-3-3 formation with Paul Dixon, Adam Clayton and Keith Southern making their league debuts.

Cardiff were wearing red in front at home which hasn't gone down too well with the Cardiff support and they had the first chance of the game when Don Cowie fed in Heidar Helguson but the former QPR striker fired wide from 20 yards.

Scott Arfield, playing in an attacking wide right role, had Town's best chance of the game with a neat ball through on goal by Novak but Marshall was equal to Arfield's shot with a smart save.

Marshall was called into action again when Norwood shot with a shot from 25 yards out with Marshall superbly beating the ball away.

Norwood was at it again after Jordan Mutch went close at the other end. The former Manchester United midfielder hit dipping half-volley from 30 yards out that brought out a superb save from Marshall who tipped it away for a Town corner.

Cardiff were having most the possession but failing to create any clear cut chances with the Town defence holding firm but just before half-time Craig Bellamy's corner was headed on to the bar by Helguson before Lynch did well to clear the danger.

The second half started much of the same with Smithies hardly tested with Bellamy's shot straight at the Town stopper.

Cardiff kept the ball better but Town were showing that they were dangerous on the counter with Jack Hunt making one of his trademark runs from right-back cutting inside Andrew Taylor before firing an effort just over the bar.

Peter Clarke was alert from Smithies spilled Cowie's shot from the edge of the area and then at the other end Arfield showed some neat touches but took one too many before trying an effort on goal.

Smithies made up for his near error with a superb diving save to deny Kevin McNaughton on 70 minutes. Bellamy cut inside from the left and his pull back found McNaughton are the far post but his effort was superbly palmed away by Smithies for a Cardiff corner.

Town went close to nicking the match, Novak had a deflected shot wide and Arfield brought another smart save out of Marshall who tipped Arfield's curling effort wide.

Joe Mason was thrown on for Cowie by Bluebirds boss Malky Mackay with 11 minutes to go and the former Plymouth striker had a great chance to put the home side ahead but could only fire harmlessly over.

In the first minutes of the added on five minutes from the forth official a long ball into the Town box was knock on by Mason and the ball fell kindly to captain Mark Hudson who fired with past Smithies with a low drive from 6 yards out.

Town played well and the midfield looked comfortable on the ball which we haven't seen for quite a while but we deserved a point but found Cardiff keeper Marshall in fine form.

Sean's Star Man - Oliver Norwood


Cardiff: Marshall, McNaughton, Taylor, Hudson, Turner, Whittingham, Cowie (Mason 78), Gunnarsson, Mutch (Kiss 85), Helguson, Bellamy.
Subs not used: Lewis, Conway, Blake, Velikonja, Earnshaw.

Town: Smithies, Dixon, P Clarke, Hunt, Lynch, Norwood, Clayton, Arfield (Gerrard 90), Southern, Scannell (Spencer 90), Novak.
Subs not used: Bennett, Woods, Robinson, Lee, Higginbotham.

Referee: East
Attendance: 21,127


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011