Match Report: Huddersfield Town 2-0 Burnley

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 25/08/2012
Huddersfield Town secured a comfortable win over Burnley at the John Smith's Stadium - the first time The Terriers had beaten The Clarets in Huddersfield for 56 years.Match Report: Huddersfield Town 2-0 Burnley

Man-of-the-match Joel Lynch got the ball rolling with his first goal in Town colours since his summer transfer from Nottingham Forest and guess who none other than Jordan Rhodes sealed all the points with a trademark finish.

The visitors created little and it was a relatively comfortable day for Town goalkeeper Alex Smithies.

One change was made from the side that drew with Nottingham Forest on Tuesday night, new on-loan signing James Vaughan went straight into the starting XI in place of Lee Novak who was dropped to the bench.

The new signing Vaughan stated his intention right from the off with his direct approach and he forced Burnley goalkeeper Lee Grant to tip the ball around the post with a 20 yard drive on 7 minutes

From the resulting corner Oliver Norwood found Lynch whose near post header was declared to have crossed the line by the linesman despite Burnley's Joseph Mills' efforts to clear.

Town were growing in confidence and were unlucky not to double their lead 7 minutes later when Sean Scannell beat Kevin Trippier down the Town left and his cross found the head of Rhodes whose effort clipped the crossbar.

Jason Shackell was on hand to keep Burnley in the game when he denied Vaughan and Adam Clayton's efforts on goal and then Clarets goalkeeper made a point blank save to deny Rhodes with a diving header after smart play from Jack Hunt.

The visitors thought they were back in the game just before the break when David Edgar drilled shot hit the back of the net but the linesman ruled out the goal for offside after Charlie Austin was in an offside position and interfered with play as it looked like his touched the ball on the way in to the net.

The second half started much of the same with Town looking comfortable and both Clayton and Norwood pulling the strings in midfield with Lynch and Clarke solid at the back.

Keith Southern had a 20 yard effort blocked and substitute Danny Ward, on for Scannell who went off injured in the 23rd minute, wasted a good chance when the winger decided to go for goal than pass.

Sure enough it was Rhodes who cemented all three points for Town in 60 minutes with a drilled effort from 12 yards. The Scottish international took a touch to the take the ball away from the defender and powerfully fired in past Lee Grant who had no chance of saving the shot.

Burnley went gung-ho in the search of salving something from the match with Austin going close with a header from Trippier's cross that just flew over the bar and then Ross Wallace went close from a free-kick.

Burnley pilled the pressure on in the last 20 minutes but created little effort on goal as they found the Town defence on top form. It was a good, organised and solid performance by Town and well deserved the three points.

Sean's Star Man - Joel Lynch
Solid as a rock at the back, a superb performance.


Town: Smithies, Dixon(Gerrard 83), Lynch, Clarke, Hunt, Scannell(Ward 20), Southern, Norwood, Clayton, Vaughan(Novak 77), Rhodes.
Subs not used: Bennett, Arfield, Woods, Spencer.

Burnley: Grant, Trippier, Shackell, Edgar, Mills(Treacy 83), McCann, Wallace, Marney, Stanislas(MacDonald 90), Vokes(Duff 64), Austin.
Subs not used: Jensen, Mee, Bartley, Stock.

Referee: David Webb
Attendance: 15,483.


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011