Millwall 4-0 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 27/10/2012
Millwall condemned Huddersfield Town to two defeats in 4 days as the Lions mauled the Terriers at the windswept New Den.Millwall 4-0 Huddersfield Town

The New Den isn't a happy hunting ground for Town, despite dominating most of the possession they return home to West Yorkshire with no points and conceding four goals to boot.

The Terriers did create chances but it was the hosts that were more clinical with striker Chris Wood putting Millwall 2-0 in front with James Henry notched the 3rd and Liam Trotter putting the ice on the cake for the Lions and ensured their unbeaten run to six matches.

To top it off Town's Jack Hunt was shown a straight red for dissent.

Terriers boss Simon Grayson made three changes from the side that lost to Peterborough United in midweek. One change was forced as striker James Vaughan was injured during training in the week which gave Lee Novak a start alongside Jermaine Beckford. The Town goalscorer in midweek Adam Hammill started along with Joel Lynch in favour for Oliver Norwood and Calum Woods respectively.

Town started in good fashion with Ward's jinxing run but Novak could only fire over from the winger's cross. The visitors kept the ball well but lacked in the final third and came up against some strong Milwall defending.

Darius Henderson and Chris Wood were linking up well and it paid off with the latter opening the scoring in the 28th minute. Trotter found Henderson on the right wing and the big striker crossed the ball across the face of the six yard box where Wood was there to stab the ball into the net through Alex Smithies' legs.

Keith Southern should have put Town level before the break when Novak's cross from the right wing was knocked down superbly by Beckford in the penalty area for the onrushing Southern but the midfielder blasted the ball harmlessly over the bar from 12 yards out.

Town took hold of the possession and dominated for the opening 15 minutes but failed to create any chance and when they did they failed to convert them as Novak fired wide from a narrow angle after a good cross from Lynch.

Millwall made Town pay in the 61st minute when Wood grabbed his second of the afternoon. A Town corner was cleared and James Henry was set clear, the winger continued unopposed to the Town box before laying the ball off for Wood who lifted the ball over Smithies to put the Lions in a comfortable lead.

Hammill went close with a volley that hit the top of the net but Millwall went into a 3-0 lead on 79 minutes which was game, set and match for Town. Wood found Henry in the Town penalty area and the winger found the bottom corner with a powerful drive.

It got worse when Jack Hunt was shown a straight red for what would be deemed for foul and abusive language. The Town right-back felt aggrieved after he thought he was pulled down by Henderson before the striker rounded Smithies and fired wide.

To compound the misery, with two minutes left Liam Trotter found the top corner with a curled shot from the edge of the Town box.


Millwall: Forde, Dunne, Shittu, Trotter, Henderson, Lowry, Henry (Wright 90), Beevers, Taylor, Abdou, Wood

Subs not used: Racon, Feeney, Keogh, N'Guessan, Malone, Taylor

Town; Smithies, Lynch, Gerrard (Dixon 63), Clarke, Hunt (OFF 85), Ward (Scannell 69), Southern, Clayton, Hammill, Novak (Norwood 82), Beckford.
Sub not used: Bennett, Woods, Lee, Robinson.

Attendance: 11,066 (691 Town fans)
Referee: Graham Scott


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011