Report: Huddersfield Town 2-4 Leeds United

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 03/12/2012
As much as I don't like to say it Huddersfield Town were soundly beaten by the better team in the West Yorkshire derby with Leeds United at the Galpharm Stadium. Beaten by the former European champions oh wait…..Report: Huddersfield Town 2-4 Leeds United

Yes the nearest we've got to Europe has been the terrible BBC show Eldorado but at least we don't lie about it.

Town made a fine start when Chris Atkinson put The Terriers into the lead with his first goal for the club but two goals in two minutes by Leeds in front before Adam Clayton's penalty put Town level at the break.

The Terriers might as well have not bothered coming back out in the second half as David Norris put Leeds 3-1 ahead and then Luciano Bucchio scored his second of the game late on. Queue Leeds's one and only song something about "marching on to no where" or something along them along lines with the occasional chant about someone called Jimmy and his band of merry men.

Town boss Simon Grayson made an interesting team selection for the game. Atkinson made his first start for Town since February 2011 ahead of Oliver Norwood who was on the bench. Alan Lee came in for Lee Novak, Anthony Gerrard was given the nod ahead of Paul Dixon and Adam Clayton was back from suspension to replace Anton Robinson.

The home side started the brightest with Simon Church firing a rasping shot into the side netting after turning inside former full-back Lee Peltier and Danny Ward tested Leeds goalkeeper Paddy Kenny with a low shot from the edge of the area.

The Town pressure paid off as they took the lead on 12 minutes when Clayton played a lovely through ball to Atkinson inside the Leeds penalty area and the unmarked Town academy graduate coolly founded the bottom corner of the net.

Leeds then slowly started turned the screw with Ross McCormack making a nuisance of himself and the visitors got a lucky goal to draw level on 34 minutes. Nobody closed down Michael Tonge on the edge of the Town box and the midfielder's slot squirmed under the body of Alex Smithies to put the game back on level terms.

The visitors doubled their lead just two minutes later, Tonge's ball over the top found McCormack and his lay-off found Becchio on the edge of the box to fire into the top corner past the hapless Smithies.

The match took another twist two minutes before the break with Becchio pulled Peter Clarke to the floor as a Town free-kick was hit into the Leeds box. Former Leeds favourite Adam Clayton cool as you like placed the ball into the net and ran half of the pitch to celebrate in front of Mr Warnock.

Into the opening stages of the second half Alan Lee had a couple of chances from two Town corners but the Irishman failed to get the ball on target.

That is pretty much as good as it got for Town in the second half once Lee was subbed in the 63rd minute it all went down hill as Leeds took the lead for a second time.

The referee played advantage after a Leeds player was fouled and Ryan Hall's right wing cross found David Norris who fired into the left hand bottom corner of the net.

Smithies pulled off a smart save to deny Hall from McCormack's cross but the Town goalkeeper could do nothing about Bucchio's thumping header from Halls cross with less than five minutes of the game remaining.

Sean's Star Man - Chris Atkinson


Town: Smithies, Lynch (Woods 56), Gerrard, P Clarke, Hunt, Arfield (Hammill 74), Atkinson, Clayton, Ward, Lee (Vaughan 63), Church
Subs not used: Bennett, Norwood, Scannell, Novak.

Leeds: Kenny, Peltier, Lees, Tate, Byram, Thomas (Hall 62), Tonge (Brown 90), Norris, Green, McCormack, Becchio (Gray 90).
Subs not used: Paddy Ashdown, White, Diouf

Referee: Mike Dean
Attendance: 20,372


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011