Report: Huddersfield Town 0-1 Charlton Athletic

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 09/03/2013
An early strike from Charlton's Callum Harriott eased any worries of The Addicks being sucked into a relegation battle but leaves Huddersfield Town still looking over their shoulder.Report: Huddersfield Town 0-1 Charlton Athletic

Town had been unbeaten on home soil in 2013 up to that point but Harriott's strike on 4 minutes was enough as The Terries huffed and puffed but lacked any real conviction.

A total contrast from the side that beat Middlesbrough 4 days earlier as Town deserved three points that day with a battling display and for the first time this season came back to win after going a goal behind. But old habits die hard they say and Town could not muster a way back against Charlton at the John Smith's Stadium.

Manager Mark Robins named an unchanged line up but within four minutes Robins found his side trailing. A soft free-kick awarded to Charlton down the Town right after Ollie Norwood had adjudged to have fouled Ricardo Fuller was squared by Chris Solly to Harriott who fired in a low shot into the bottom corner past Alex Smithies.

Town nearly got an instant reply when Lee Novak's looping header from Norwood's corner forced Charlton goalkeeper David Button to back pedal and tip over the crossbar.

The Terriers were to have most of the possession throughout the 90 minutes but Charlton defended thoroughly and threatened to counter.

Another Norwood corner found Oscar Gobern but the midfielder should have done better with a header that he failed to direct on target and Novak failed to deal with a ball into the Charlton box from Neil Danns.

On 29 minutes Theo Robinson had Town's best chance of the first half with a strong header from Paul Dixon's cross from the left that Button could only parry away.

As the half drew to a close Charlton threatened to double their lead. Lawrie Wilson's cross was met by Danny Haynes but the striker's downward header failed to hit the target.

Haynes again was through on goal moments later but Smithies managed to get enough on the ball from Haynes' chipped effort to take the sting out of the shot which allowed Dixon to clear.

Peter Clarke was then on hand to deny Wilson's header with a superb goal line clearance after Johnnie Jackson had swung in a free-kick.

Town were to half the final chance of the half when Norwood's long range forced Button to scramble across his goal to tip around the post.

Button was again on hand to preserve Charlton's lead into the second half when Adam Clayton's powerful free-kick was too hot to handle for Button but the Charlton defence managed to scramble the ball away.

On 54 minutes Mark Robins threw on the subs that changed the game on Tuesday night as Danny Ward and Alan Lee came on for Theo Robinson and Ollie Norwood respectively with the latter not taking too kind to being subbed and walked straight down the tunnel.

Harriott having scored his first goal for Charlton failed to grab a second when he could only stretch to poke wide from Fuller's pass.

From the hour mark onwards the game petered out and Town went out on a whimper.


Town: Smithies, Hunt, P Clarke, Gerrard, Dixon, Gobern (Arfield 80), Norwood (Ward 54), Danns, Clayton, Novak, Robinson (Lee 54).
Subs not used: Bennett, Woods, Wallace, Atkinson.

Charlton: Button, Solly, Taylor, Morrison, Wiggins, Harriott (Evina 79), Pritchard, Jackson, Wilson, Fuller (Dervite 66), Haynes (Obika 88).
Subs not used: Hamer, Green, Stephens, Wagstaff.

Attendance: 13,591
Referee: Keith Stroud.


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011