Report - Huddersfield Town 2-2 Peterborough United

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 06/04/2013
Town had to settle for a point as Peterborough United stole a late equalizer to deny The Terriers all three points but the draw has pushed Town out the relegation places in expense of Blackburn Rovers.Report - Huddersfield Town 2-2 Peterborough United

Town had gone ahead just before the break when Neil Danns was on hand after Oliver Norwood's shot was parried but Lee Tomlin equalized from the visitors after the break.

Murray Wallace scored his first goal in Town colours since his move from Falkirk but Posh striker Dwight Gayle nipped in to equalize from a corner with four minutes to go.

The match was pretty much end-to-end stuff with neither side taking hold of the game.

Injuries has hit the Town squad with three changes being made from the side that lost at Bolton Wanderers in midweek. Murray Wallace started as Anthony Gerrard was out with a calf injury, Scott Arfield started for the injured Danny Ward and Calum Woods started at right back in place of Jack Hunt who has a hamstring injury.

Sean Scannell fired wide after cutting inside from the left with only two minutes gone but the visitors nearly took the lead but were denied thanks to a goal line clearance from Peter Clarke. Tomlin sent Nathaniel Mendez-Laing through on goal, the winger outmuscled Paul Dixon and his shot was denied by Alex Smithies but the Posh winger got a lucky ricochet with the ball trickling towards the goal line but Clarke was on hand with a last-ditch clearance.

Posh goalkeeper Robert Olejnik had to parry away a Norwood cross and the Town midfielder was involved as The Terriers took the lead on 41 minutes. Norwood's 25 yard looping shot was parried by Olejnik and Danns was first to react to put the ball into the net.

Conceding goals just after the break has been a problem in recent weeks and today was no different as the visitors scored within five minutes of the restart. Mendez-Laing picked up the ball in his own half and drove forward into the Town penalty area unchallenged before squaring the ball to the unmarked Tomlin who made no mistake in lashing the ball past Smithies.

Calum Woods could have easily seen red but luckily just got a yellow card after the defender brought down Gayle as the striker raced towards goal from Tomlin's ball over the top.

Mendez-Laing was becoming a problem with the time and space Town was giving him so it became as a bit of a surprise when he was subbed along with Grant McCann for Tyrone Barnett and Danny Swanson.

With that The Terriers regained the lead on 68 minutes thanks to Murrary Wallace's first goal for the club. A Town corner was cleared and when Norwood pumped the ball back into the Peterborough box Wallace was on hand to glance a header into the net.

Town fans were hoping we would push on and score another to cement the match but it wasn't to be and the visitors nipped in to equalize the clock ticked away towards the 90.

The ball was put out for a corner as Peter Clarke again denied the visitors with a goal line clearance from Barnett's header after Smithies had been caught in no mans land from a Peterborough cross.

From the resulting corner Dwight Gayle beat his marker to score with a diving header and then preceded to celebrate in front of the Town fans.

The match finished a draw which as stated was really no good to either side but it has moved Town out of the relegation places for now. Next up is two away games at two teams also fighting survival in Wolverhampton Wanderers and Blackburn Rovers. My recommendation is put your money on this relegation battle going to the wire there are going to many twists and turns in store.

Sean's Star Man - Peter Clarke
Put his mistake at Bolton behind him with a solid display had it not been for his goal line clearances it could have been a lot worse.


Town; Smithies, Dixon, P Clarke, Wallace, Woods, Norwood, Gobern (Beckford 58), Danns, Arfield, Scannell, Vaughan (Lee 90).
Subs not used: Bennett, T Clarke, Atkinson, Lynch, Novak.

Peterborough: Olejnik, Rowe, Alcock, Zakuani, Rowe, Knight-Percival, McCann (Swanson 67), Payne (Ferdinand 42), Tomlin, Mendez-Laing (Barnett 67), Gayle.
Subs not used: Brisley, Day, Pritchard, Cuvelier.

Attendance: 11,840
Referee: Mark Heywood.


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011