Tranmere Rovers 1 v 0 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Beaker (Moderator) on 20/10/2001
Town lost their third consecutive league match on Saturday,going down 1-0 to Tranmere Rovers at Prenton Park. Town,without the injured Kenny Irons,had Thomas Heary in central midfield alongside Dwayne Mattis. Adie Moses returned to the starting lineup at right back with Steve Jenkins once again filling in at left back in place of the injured Gareth Evans.Tranmere Rovers 1 v 0 Huddersfield Town

The loss of ex-Tranmere favourite Irons showed in a scrappy first half as Town rarely threatened Murphy in the Tranmere goal.Only Andy Booth with a wayward header and Mattis with a shot into the crowd had attempts,as both teams struggled to make an impression.

Chris Holland worked hard on the left but his prompting produced no rewards.

Tranmere had veteran striker Paul Rideout and top scorer Stuart Barlow in attack,but like their Town counterparts Booth and Schofield they were starved of any real service.

Rovers only real opportunity was a tame Rideout header which didn't trouble Margetson in the Town goal.

The first 45 minutes were instantly forgettable and neither set of supporters had anything to cheer inside an eerily quiet Prenton Park.

Early in the second half,Tranmere made the breakthrough.Stuart Barlow released the three million pound rated Jason Koumas down the right(quite where they get that from is anybody's guess)and his low cross was volleyed home by the unmarked Henry.Slack defending from Town.

This fired the Terriers into life and they had the majority of possession for the rest of the game but could not capitalise.The pace of John Thorrington down the right hand side caused Tranmere problems and he forced them to concede a succession of corners.

It was from one of these that brought Town the chance of the game.Thorrington's flag kick found an unmarked Booth but somehow he managed to head the ball over from five yards out.A glaring miss from a striker low on confidence.

Town continued to press but lacked a cutting edge,Booth missing another clear header when well placed.

Macari sent on Chris Hay in place of Adie Moses with twenty minutes to go and dropped Heary to right back,pushing Chris Holland into the middle.

Rovers responded by sending on ex-Town striker Wayne Allison to help out the defence from Town's corners and Nathan Clarke's long throws.

As the clock ticked down,Thorrington hit the side netting with a deflected free-kick after Schofield was flattened and Holland made space for a shot but fired straight at Murphy.
But Tranmere hung on to collect all three points.
This latest setback drops Town to twelth in the Division Two table.

Teams :-

Tranmere Rovers:Murphy,Yates,Allen,Sharps,Roberts,Koumas,(Parkinson 68,Hume 75),Mellon,Henry,Flynn,(Allison79),Barlow,Rideout.

Huddersfield Town:Margetson,Moses,(Hay 69),Gray,Jenkins,Thorrington,Mattis,Heary,Holland,Booth, Schofield.

Referee: Mr.M.Clattenburg

Attendance: 8,632

Beaker's MOM: Chris Holland.


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011