Report - Barnsley 2-1 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 31/08/2013
A dire first half display cost Huddersfield Town their five match unbeaten streak as Barnsley took all three points in a Yorkshire derby at Oakwell.Report - Barnsley 2-1 Huddersfield Town

Barnsley had conceded 11 goals in their last two games and only taken a point in the league before Saturday but their hard-working display was rewarded with three points as Chris O'Grady and Marcus Pedersen struck in the first half.

Town came back in the second half and grabbed a goal through James Vaughan's eighth goal of the season but try as they might they lacked a real killer edge.

Referee Lee Mason gave some shocking decisions and doesn't seem to understand the advantage rule. It was a real surprise that only two yellow cards were produced throughout the 90 minutes.

Terriers manager Mark Robins made one change to the side that beat Charlton Athletic in the Capital One Cup, Sean Scannell started in place of Martin Paterson. Defender Tommy Smith was on the bench in place of the departed Jack Hunt who has signed for Crystal Palace.

Barnsley boss David Flitcroft made three changes to the side that got hammered 6-1 by Southampton in the Capital One Cup, defender Jean Yves Mvoto returned from suspension and started as Scott Golbourne was sold to Wolves this week. Huddersfield-born Reuben Noble-Lazarus started ahead of Jim McNulty and David Perkins was chosen over Jacob Mellis. On-loan striker Marcus Pedersen was making his league debut for the home side.

Barnsley matched Town's 3-5-2 formation and were first out of the traps, it took Anthony Gerrard to block as O'Grady looked to bare down on goal and the striker tried to turn provider with a low cross from the left that forced Alex Smithies to make a save at his near post.

The former Sheffield Wednesday striker who has scored past Town for Wednesday and for Barnsley in the 2-2 draw last season took just eight minutes to draw first blood to the home side.
Scott Wiseman had space to cross from the right and as the Town defence failed to clear with the ball bobbling around O'Grady lashed a low shot in the right-hand corner.

O'Grady could have scored a second just two minutes later with Kelvin Etuhu teed the striker up after shaking off two challenges but O'Grady's curled shot flew over the bar.

Town just couldn't get going and Barnsley were closing the visitors down at every opportunity but they did fashion a few limited chances in the first half with Oliver Norwood curling a shot just over the bar from edge of the area after picking up a pass from Jake Carroll.

Adam Hammill jinxed his way into the box beating two defenders but his pass went straight across the face of goal begging to be tapped into the empty net but sadly for Town no one was there to take the chance.

Adam Clayton then cut in from the left beating three Barnsley players but his pull back from the by-line was blocked by Mvoto.

Town were hit with a sucker punch when on 31 minutes Barnsley doubled their lead through on-loan striker Pedersen. Tom Kennedy's cross from the left found the Norwegian striker in acres of space who beat Smithies with a shot on the turn.

Robins changed the system at the break going for a 4-3-3 formation to try salvage something from the match and Town did look better with Clayton having a shot from the edge of the area that deflected wide.

Vaughan should have done better when a route one pass was failed to be dealt with by Mvoto allowing the striker through on goal but he fired wide.

Sure enough Vaughan wasn't going to miss second time round and pulled one back for the Terriers on 61 minutes. Clayton played a clever through ball to put the former Norwich man through on goal and he coolly slotted past Mike Pollitt for his eighth goal of the season.

The same combination nearly got Town back on level terms seven minutes later but Vaughan could only fire Clayton's chipped pass straight at Pollitt.

It was mainly all Town in the second half but they lacked a real edge to make the dominance pay but Barnsley substitute Jacob Mellis did test Smithies with a 25-yard shot that the goalkeeper smothered at the second attempt.

Joel Lynch denied sub Chris Dagnall with a great tackle as the striker picked up a smart pass from O'Grady in the Town box.

Mark Robins threw strikers Martin Paterson and Jon Stead late on but the home side held firm.

Smithies went up for a corner in stoppage time and nearly got caught short as Mvoto broke away but the defender, after running with the ball from inside his own half, could only fire harmlessly wide. At the final whistle Mvoto headed straight down the tunnel despite his side winning the match.

The transfer window ends on Monday so it will be interesting to see if any of the Jack Hunt money is spent on any new recruits. Town have now a fortnight to regroup before Doncaster Rovers visits the John Smith's Stadium on 14th September.

Sean's Star Man- James Vaughan
Not too many contenders for this one in my view but Vaughan took his goal well with a neat finish. Had to feed on scraps in this match but always gives 100% every game.


Barnsley: Pollitt, Kennedy, Wiseman, Mvoto, O'Brien, Dawson, Perkins, Etuhu, Noble-Lazarus (Mellis 73), O'Grady, Pedersen (Dagnall 75).
Subs not used: Steele, McNulty, Jennings, Cywka, Scotland.

Huddersfield Town: Smithies, Clarke, Lynch, Gerrard, Norwood, Hogg (Stead 88), Clayton, Hammill, Carroll (Paterson 77), Scannell (Ward 53), Vaughan.
Subs not used: Bennett, Wallace, Smith, Gobern.

Referee: Lee Mason
Attendance: 13,593


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011