Report - Wigan Athletic 2-1 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 02/11/2013
Slack defending allowed Wigan Athletic to edge out Huddersfield Town to give the Latics a first win in five matches.Report - Wigan Athletic 2-1 Huddersfield Town

The home side took the lead when Leon Barnett scored with a header from Ben Watson's corner but Ollie Norwood equalised right on half-time with a deflected shot. The lead for the visitors didn't last long as Nick Powell fired the eventually winner just four minutes into the second half.

Town boss Mark Robins made one change to the side that beat Leeds United the previous week, in came midfielder Ollie Norwood for Duane Holmes who was on the bench but still no Adam Clayton or Anthony Gerrard in the match day squad. Martin Paterson is supposedly out with an arm injury probably sustained in the rumoured fight in training between himself and Clayton.

The home side could have taken the lead inside two minutes when Powell's cut back from the byline was fired over by Marc-Antoine Fortune.

Powell went close himself but Alex Smithies had to be alert on 20 minutes tipping Chris McCann's ferocious long range effort over the bar.

From the resulting corner, Ben Watson found Leon Barnett who got ahead of Peter Clarke to plant a header into the back of the net.

Adam Hammill almost equalised moments later when he tricked his way into the Wigan penalty area but his toe poke was deflected wide off Barnett.

Watson fired over and Emmerson Boyce headed over from a Latics corner. Fortune should have been booked for a late challenge on Smithies and for a dive in the penalty area.

With the half drawing to a close, Jazz Richards bombed forward down the right flank and picked out Ollie Norwood whose low drive was deflected into the net via James Perch.

The lead didn't last long with just four minutes into the second half Clarke gave the ball the way allowing Jordi Gomez to set up Powell who lashed the ball into the net from just inside the area.

Sean Scannell was brought off the bench to replace Hammill, who was not happy about the decision, and on the hour mark the winger got the better off Perch setting up Ward but the winger's shot was deflected and somehow Nicholls managed to keep the ball out of the net.

Fortune had a good chance to kill off the match on 63 minutes but the striker headed over in a good position.

With 15 minutes to go Daniel Carr was introduced off the bench for his debut in professional football but the second half was not a classic the only action worth noting was Norwood's long range free-kick that Nicholls had to gather at the second attempt.

Plenty of effort from Town but lacked any real threat in the final third.

Sean's Star Man- Keith Southern
Just for the fact he went around kicking these former Premier League prima donnas into the air.


Wigan: Nicholls, Perch, Barnett, Boyce, Shotton, McManaman (McClean 78), Watson, McCann, Gomez (Albrighton 59), Powell, Fortune (Holt 74).
Subs not used: Pollitt, Crainey, McArthur, Espinoza.

Town: Smithies, Richards, Clarke, Lynch, Dixon, Hogg (Gobern 41), Southern (Carr 75), Hammill (Scannell 61), Norwood, Ward, Stead.
Subs not used: Bennett, Woods, Wallace, Holmes.

Attendance: 16,112
Referee: Tony Harrington.


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011