Match Report - Blackpool 1-0 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 22/03/2014
Another away day blues for Huddersfield Town as an early Blackpool goal was enough to see off Town and give the Tangerines back-to-back home wins.Match Report - Blackpool 1-0 Huddersfield Town

The victory gives Blackpool some breathing space in their fight against relegation and only their second win in 21 matches whilst the defeat leaves The Terriers four matches without a win.

It was another poor display from Town, they rarely tested Matt Gilks in the Blackpool goal and the performances in recent weeks have been worrying. The only fortunate is The Terriers have a 12 point cushion on the relegation places.

Town boss Mark Robins made three changes from the side that suffered defeat at the hands of Blackburn Rovers the previous week. Keith Southern started against his former club; James Vaughan made his first start since February and Anthony Gerrard returned to form a three-man defence in a 3-5-2 formation.

The match wasn't a classic for a neutral but it didn't start well for the visitors when with just four minutes gone Southern's weak pass was intercepted by David Perkins who released Ricardo Fuller through on goal. The Jamaican striker beat Gerrard for pace before rifling the ball past Alex Smithies.

It could have been worse just a few minutes later when Tony McMahon's free-kick was tipped wide by Smithies. From the resulting corner Smithies managed dive on the ball following a goal-mouth scramble.

Kirk Broadfoot should have done better with a free header six yards out from a McMahon free-kick whilst at the other end Town registered their first shot on target with Paul Dixon's tame effort from the edge of the Blackpool box.

Murray Wallace was sacrificed for Calum Woods as Town switched for 4-4-2 but they weren't at the races. No one capitalised on Broadfoot's miskick from Hammill's cross and when Robinson slipped whilst attempting to clear the ball in his own penalty area.

The Terriers had more of the possession but couldn't create any clear-cut chances. Hammill drove down the left wing and found Vaughan at the back post but no one was there to pounce on the striker's knock down.

David Goodwille nearly capitalised on Peter Clarke's mistimed header and then went close with a shot from the edge of the area.

Sub Oliver Norwood hit a long range effort wide and Nahki Wells tested Gilks with a 30 yard strike that the Blackpool goalkeeper had to palm away.

Wells did have the ball in the back of the net on 75 minutes only to be ruled out by the linesman's flag after the striker pounced when Gilks couldn't hold Adam Clayton's shot from the edge of the area.

That was as good as it got for Town as Blackpool held on for the win. Sub Andy Keogh forcing Smithies into a save with a shot from long range.


Blackpool: Gilks, McMahon, Robinson, Cathcart, Mackenzie, Broadfoot (Foley 31), Basham, Grandin (Bishop 67), Perkins, Goodwille, Fuller (Keogh 80).
Subs not used: Halliday, Haroun, Osbourne, Martinez.

Huddersfield: Smithies, Wallace (Woods 38), Gerrard, Clarke, Dixon, Southern (Ward 80), Hogg (Norwood 45), Clayton, Hammill, Wells, Vaughan.
Subs not used: Bennett, Scannell, Holmes, Bunn.

Attendance: 14,624
Referee: Robert Lewis.


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011