Report - Yeovil Town 1-2 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 21/04/2014
An injury-time winner from Huddersfield Town midfielder Adam Clayton sealed The Terriers Championship football status for another season whilst condemning Yeovil to all but relegation.Report - Yeovil Town 1-2 Huddersfield Town

It was a goalless first half but the match sprung into life in the second 45 with Nahki Wells opening the scoring with his seventh goal for Huddersfield since his £1.3million pound move from Bradford City in January.

The Terriers' lead lasted all but four minutes when Tom Lawrence equalised for Yeovil with a free-kick.

With 8 minutes of added on time due to a serious looking injury to Huddersfield winger Danny Ward, Clayton struck in the 7th minute of the added on time to break the hearts of the Yeovil fans as they look to be heading back to League One.

Only an improbable set of results and a large swing in goal difference will save The Glovers.

Terriers manager Mark Robins made one change to the starting XI, that being Danny Ward returned in place of Sean Scannell after missing the match against Brighton on Good Friday because of injury.

Yeovil attacked right from the kick-off, getting the ball forward at every opportunity and nearly took the lead as early as the 3rd minute when experienced striker James Hayter headed Kevin Dawson's over the bar.

Hayter came even closer just three minutes later when his header beat Alex Smithies but rattled the crossbar.

Huddersfield, who were without a win in their last 10 matches before kick-off, were slow out of the blocks and had to thank Smithies when he produced a good save to keep out a Lawrence free-kick.

Moments later the winger on-loan from Manchester United missed a fantastic opportunity to put Yeovil in front. After capitalising on a defensive mix-up between Anthony Gerrard and Murray Wallace, the 20-year old Lawrence tried to round Smithies but the Terriers goalkeeper got down well to pluck the ball away from his feet.

With Yeovil missing their chances, Huddersfield grew in confidence but the best they could come up with in the first 45 minutes was Danny Ward's curled effort that flew high and wide.

Ward was forced off early in the second half after a heavy challenge with a Yeovil player. The Huddersfield winger was down for some time receiving treatment but he did manage to walk off the pitch with help from the club's physio.

Jonathan Hogg missed a glorious chance to put the visitors in front. Sub Sean Scannell latched on to the ball following Luke Ayling's poor header and squared the ball for Wells but the ball ran free for Hogg but the midfielder fired wide with the goal at his mercy.

Hogg had a chance to make amends moments later on the edge of the Yeovil box but again the former Watford midfielder fired wide.

Yeovil claims for a penalty were denied after Lawrence was brought down in the area by Gerrard and to rub salt in the wounds Huddersfield took the lead on 69 minutes.

The Terriers hit Yeovil on the counter with Adam Hammill breaking away and with winger provided a low cross for Wells to covert at the far post.

The lead didn't last long as Byron Webster was brought down on the edge of the Huddersfield penalty area and Lawrence this time lashed the ball into the back of the net.

As the match drew towards the 90 minute mark Yeovil threw bodies forward but Hammill and Scannell both had chances for the visitors.

The game swung in the favour of The Terriers as midfielder Adam Clayton struck a late, late winner. Hammill was set free by substitute Duane Holmes; the winger drove into the Yeovil penalty area and was tackled but the ball fell to Clayton, who fired into the back of net through a crowded area.

Sean's Star Man - Alex Smithies


Yeovil: Stech, Ayling, Webster, Edwards, McAllister, Ralls (Grant 68), Duffy, Palazuelos (Foley 80), Dawson (Lanzoni 68), Lawrence, Hayter.
Subs not used: Dunn, Davis, Hoskins, Ofori-Twumasi.

Huddersfield: Smithies, Woods, Gerrard, Wallace, Dixon, Hogg, Norwood (Holmes 67), Clayton, Hammill, Ward (Scannell 50), Wells.
Subs not used: Bennett, Clarke, Gobern, Smith, Bunn.

Referee: Stuart Attwell
Attendance: 5,903


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011