Report - Huddersfield Town 0-2 Leicester City

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 26/04/2014
Huddersfield Town finished their season off in front of their own fans with a defeat.Report - Huddersfield Town 0-2 Leicester City

Leicester City are just a point away of the 100 mark in the Sky Bet Championship table with a win over Huddersfield Town at the John Smith's Stadium.

A goal in each half gave Leicester the three points with former Huddersfield striker Gary Taylor-Fletcher giving The Foxes the lead on the half hour mark.

Wes Morgan wrapped up the victory with a tap in from close range with 15 minutes to go.

The nearest the home side came to in this rather low-key game was Adam Hammill's shot which was cleared off the line.

This match had little interest in the Championship with Leicester winning the league at Bolton Wanderers in midweek, whilst Town secured survival with a win at Yeovil Town on Easter Monday.

A special mention should go to the 300 cyclists who took part in the 'Pedal for Pounds 5' fundraising bike ride in aid of the 'Keep it Up' Campaign, which raises money for the Yorkshire Air Ambulance and the Huddersfield Town academy. The cyclists competed the 250 mile 'Chapman Trail', named in honour of legendary manager Herbert Chapman, which started at Arsenal's Emirates Stadium and finished at the John Smith's Stadium.

Another mention should go to Adam Clayton, who dyed his iconic beard blue and white to raise money for the Town Foundation, a charity which provides breakfasts in local schools.

Town boss Mark Robins made three changes to the starting line-up that secured Championship status at Yeovil. Captain Peter Clarke replaced Murray Wallace, which is likely to be his last outing in front of the Town fans which his contract not being renewed this summer. Duane Holmes and Sean Scannell also started in favour of Oliver Norwood and Danny Ward.

Leicester manager Nigel Pearson made six changes to his starting XI with former Town striker Gary Taylor-Fletcher starting and former loanee Danny Drinkwater on the bench.

The Foxes started the brightest with Matt James' corner finding Andy King but the Welshman could only header straight at Town goalkeeper Alex Smithies.

Adam Clayton hit a long range effort wide whilst at other end Chris Wood could not direct his header goal wards from James' free-kick.

Leicester should their quality on 31 minutes when they took the lead courtesy of Taylor-Fletcher. James picked out Lloyd Dyer with a neat pass and the winger laid the ball off for Taylor-Fletcher who coolly dispatched past Smithies with a shot that went in off the post.

Town came close to equalising just before the break with Scannell skipped past Paul Konchesky to cut from the byline, the winger picked out Adam Hammill unmarked but his shot was cleared off the line by Liam Moore.

Into the second half and Leicester hit the counter attack from a Town free-kick. Clayton took a shot from 30 yards out but the visitors broke away and it nearly led to a goal with Wood going close from Dyer's cross.

Scannell was giving Konchesky a headache throughout the match but Leicester held firm and were dangerous on the counter. Dyer had two chances to double The Foxes lead but each time Smithies was equal to the task.

On 75 minutes Leicester did double their lead when Wes Morgan tapped in at close range from James' free-kick after Andy King has been fouled on the left wing.

Town brought on two youngsters in Danish midfielder Philip Billing and Joe Lolly and the latter set up Nahki Wells with three minutes to go but the striker couldn't find the target with just Kasper Schmeichel to beat.

Sean's Star Man - Adam Clayton


Huddersfield: Smithies, Woods, Clarke, Gerrard, Dixon, Hogg (Billing 75), Holmes (Norwood 63), Clayton, Scannell, Hammill (Lolley 75), Wells.

Subs not used: Bennett, Wallace, Ward, Smith.

Leicester: Schmeichel, Moore, Miquel, Morgan, Koncheskey, Hammond, King, James (Drinkwater 82), Dyer, Taylor-Fletcher (Mahrez 64), Wood (Nugent 82).

Subs not used: Logan, de Laet, Wasilewski, Phillips.

Referee: Iain Williamson

Attendance: 16,481.

Written by Sean Makin. Twitter @seany1985. E-mail:


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011