Bristol City 1 v 0 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Phill Rodgerson on 29/10/2002
I would just like to forewarn you that before you read this I am writing this match report as the game takes place. I am simply sat at home listening to the radio and typing out the major events. This means I don?t have the usual hindsight of the victory and nor do I have the advantage of actually see the action myself. The end result may be a poor match report but at least it?s better than nothing. But if it is poor I apologise in advance?Bristol City 1 v 0 Huddersfield Town

Due to the poor weather conditions in the south the traffic lights in the city were all out. This caused many problems within the Town centre and lead to the 15 minute delay of the kick-off time to allow Terrier fans to arrive at the game in time to see all the action.

A very defensively minded approach by Town paid off as they weathered an opening 20 minutes of pressure from high-flying Bristol City during the first ten-minutes with ten-goal-man Scott Murray finding managing to find his way forward and cause the Town back four some problems. Danny Coles also troubled with a difficult cross towards the back post which had Chris Holland bustling through to get the ball clear.

After an initial twenty minutes in which Town had to battle to keep the Bristol attack at bay neither team really troubled either of the goalkeepers although Bristol did look by far the most dominant. This was only added to by Towns show of respect to Bristol by giving the ball away too cheaply when they considered keeping Bristol out of their 18-yard-box more important than trying to get forward themselves. This was clearly illustrated after 15 minutes when John Thorrington sent the ball out of play rather than looking up for a pass.

Loan striker Christian Roberts managed to find his way wide on 22 minutes which managed to evade everyone in the box, luckily that included his own team-mates. A tantalising ball played across the face of the goal was just marginally behind the approaching Aaron Brown as a chance went begging for Bristol City.

The only play Town seem capable of mustering is punting the ball long to the head of Jon Stead and his flick-ons appear to be gaining nothing as he has no support from the midfield or his fellow front-men. Town?s best early chance came after 32 minutes from a free-kick when Stead managed to win a header in the area but could only manage to aim it comfortably at Steve Phillips, the Bristol goalkeeper.

After a solid opening from Town a great piece of inter-play between Brian Tinnion and Hill allowed Matthew Hill a free run on goal. A run started from midfield found a gap in the defence and allowed Hill an easy chance at goal with Bevan left pretty helpless as the ball was swept into his goal to give City the lead. Town were unable to hold onto the draw up until half-time as the opener came after 37 minutes.

The impressive Tinnion then troubled Town once more caused Town problems awith a free-kick 30-yards from goal. The shot was despatched with a true venom that had dip over the wall and had Bevan scrambling to keep hold of the ball. At the same time John Thorrington was replaced by Baldry as he limped off the field with a suspected ankle injury due to a sharp turn earlier.

The second half commenced with Town needing to attack the Bristol City defence which hadn?t been apparent in the first half. The opening twenty minutes was very subdued allowing Bristol time on the ball and keeping them at ease while they defended their lead.

On 72 minutes Steve Jenkins went off the field injured and in attempt to return to play it was clear that he couldn?t continue. He was replaced by Kenny Irons as Town reshuffled at the back (once again ? why wasn?t Jonny D brought on? It seems a straightforward swap!) Bristol switched to a 4-4-2 by bringing on two of their substitutes; Woodman and Lita.

A good piece of play on 75 minutes almost created an opportunity but the rest of the team clearly weren?t on the same wavelength. He gained room on his marker and cut a ball back to the top of the penalty area. Unfortunately all of the team had run into the six-yard box expecting a square ball and a fantastic pass was easily cleared by the Bristol defence.

Town managed to frustrate the home crowd late on by pressurising their winning team. The crowd, clearly not used to seeing their team hassled so much, managed to play against their team by jeering them and it allowed Town many more chances as the Bristol players became increasingly nervous.

The lively Jon Stead, gaining more and more support from players in late on in the game, almost gained himself an equalizer after a fantastic cross from Kevin Sharp from the left wing. The great ball, aimed at four blue and white shirts packing the box, was directed towards the far post with the ?keeper beaten but it just went wide of the post much to the agony of the young striker.

Christian Roberts should?ve put the game well beyond Town with just 4 minutes left on the clock when a great ball in by Tinnion had the striker diving across the Town area to connect with the ball. With a lot of room he managed to send his header wide of the goal and keep the hope of an equalizer alive for Town.

In the 2nd minute of added time Jon Stead, industrious as ever trying to help the team he supports gain a point from the game, won the ball at the back. He laid it square for Kevin Sharp who sat a great ball up for Danny Schofield to strike. Having seen the ball late Phillips was only able to palm Schofield?s rasping shot wide.

The resulting corner saw the usual appearance of Scott Bevan in the box. The towering goalkeeper, having had very little to do in his own goal, managed to get his head to the ball but couldn?t get it on target. Not long after the referee brought the game to an end with Bristol City winning by just one goal to nothing.

There will be no player ratings once again as I didn?t get to watch the players in action and so wouldn?t be able to give a fair representation of the players performances.


Huddersfield Town:

1. Scott Bevan
22. Kevin Sharp
2. Steve Jenkins ? (INJ 72)
27. Nat Brown
5. Adi Moses (YEL 74)
7. Danny Schofield
10. John Thorrington (INJ 43)
6. Chris Holland (OFF 84)
33. Dwayne Mattis
19. Martin Smith
14. Jon Stead (MOTM)


35. Phil Senior
23. Jon Dyson
8. Kenny Irons (ON 72)
11. Simon Baldry (ON 43)
31. Paul Macari (ON 84)

Bristol City:

1. Steve Phillips
3. Mickey Bell (OFF 72)
5. Tony Butler
6. Matthew Hill (GOAL, 37)
19. Danny Coles
12. Aaron Brown
11. Brian Tinnion
4. Tommy Doherty (OFF 72)
8. Joe Burnell
7. Scott Murray (OFF 81)
18. Christian Roberts


15. Robin Hulbert (ON 81)
16. Simon Clist
24. Craig Woodman (ON 72)
33. Leroy Lita (ON 72)
13. Boaz Myhill


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011