Report - Huddersfield Town 0-0 Wigan

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 17/09/2014
Huddersfield Town played out a goalless draw with Wigan Athletic at the John Smith's Stadium last night as neither side did enough to deserve collecting all three points.Report - Huddersfield Town 0-0 Wigan

It leaves Chris Powell still waiting for his first win since becoming Town boss but a first clean sheet in 20 matches was at least a plus for the Terriers.

But Town have now gone 11 home matches without a win and that surely is a concern for Powell but his next focus for the time being is the West Yorkshire derby with Leeds United on Saturday.

For Wigan it was their first away point of the season in a match Latics boss Uwe Rosler said they should have won.

Powell made two changes to the side that lost to Middlesbrough on Saturday with Jon Stead coming in for the injured James Vaughan and Danny Ward preferred to Harry Bunn.

Rosler stuck with the same team selection that lost to Blackburn Rovers at the weekend.

Ward forced a Town corner in the opening minutes by defender Joel Lynch could only head over before Ward forced Wigan goalkeeper Scott Carson into a save from Jacob Butterfield's corner kick.

Wigan's Don Cowie headed over from Emyr Huws' set-piece before Andy Delort tried a long range free-kick that was blocked by the Town wall.

Cowie had an effort that flew harmlessly wide before Delort hit a rasping shot from the edge of the area that Terriers goalkeeper Alex Smithies had to tip over the bar.

The visitors were having the better of the possession but lacked a killer instinct. Callum McManaman went close and James Perch saw his header from Huws' cross blocked.

Town did hit back with a counter attack that saw Butterfield playing Wells through but Carson was out quickly to deny the striker's effort.

Sean Scannell replaced Danny Ward at the break but still Wigan bossed the possession with Mark Hudson denying Delort with a block before Smithies denied Huws with a smart save after good work from Perch.

Delort should have punished Town on 65 minutes when the French striker robbed Conor Coady and headed towards goal but he fired straight over when James McClean was in a good position.

Scannell did well down the right and jinxed his way into the penalty area but his low cross across goal was blocked by the foot of Ivan Ramis.

With eight minutes to go Scannell broke down the right flank and his cross was flicked on by Wells to Stead but the striker's effort was tame and was saved by Carson.

Just a minute later Wigan sub James Tavernier put in a superb cross but Oriol Riera's shot on the volley flew past Smithies' left hand post.

Huws had an effort that was blocked and another shot that flew too high deep into injury time but both teams were content with a point.

Sean's Star Man - Mark Hudson
Another assured performance by the former Cardiff man.


Huddersfield: Smithes, Robinson, Lynch (Wallace 76), Hudson, Smith, Ward (Scannell 45), Peltier, Coady, Butterfield, Wells, Stead.
Subs not used: Murphy, Dixon, Lolley, Bunn, Majewski.

Wigan: Carson, Ramis, Boyce, Kiernan, Taylor (Tavernier 72), Perch, Huws, Cowie, Kvist, Delort (Riera 76), McManaman (McClean 62).
Subs not used: Al-Habsi, Barnett, Forshaw, Maloney.

Referee: Seb Stockbrige.
Attendance: 11,083.

This report by the author also appears on


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011