Match Report - Huddersfield Town 3-0 Nottm Forest

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 02/11/2014
Huddersfield Town continued their good run of form with an emphatic 3-0 win over Nottingham Forest at the John Smith's Stadium.Match Report - Huddersfield Town 3-0 Nottm Forest

The defeat ensures Forest winless run continues to seven matches as Town exploited their defensive frailties in ruthless style.

Stuart Pearce's men had more of the possession but as against Blackburn Rovers a week prior, their defensive vulnerability showed.

The Terriers deserved the win and it was two former Forest players that were on the scoresheet in Joel Lynch and Grant Holt who scored either side of Nahki Wells' header.

Town boss Chris Powell made three changes from the side that drew with Ipswich Town a week ago and was forced to make a late switch on the bench.

Jack Robinson returned at left-back for Paul Dixon in a 4-4-2 formation that saw wingers Sean Scannell and Harry Bunn replace Lee Peltier and Jonathan Hogg.

Hogg was named on the substitute bench only to pick up an injury in the warm-up and was replaced by Anthony Gerrard, who was making his first appearance of the season in the match day squad.

Pearce made five changes to his Forest side as Eric Lichaj was restored at right-back in place of former Huddersfield player Jack Hunt, who was given a place on the bench. Danny Fox started at left-back in favour of Dan Harding, Kelvin Wilson was dropped from the squad with Jamaal Lascelles given a rare start.

New loan signing Tom Ince went straight into the starting XI whilst Chris Burke was relegated to the bench and Henri Lansbury was handed a start. Striker Matty Fryatt, like Wilson, was also missing from the match day squad.

Just 44 seconds into the match and Forest found themselves a goal behind. Bunn won a throw in down the left and from Robinson's long throw, Lynch rose highest to head the ball into the back of the net.

Forest responded almost immediately but Lynch was in the right place to clear the danger as Britt Assombalonga looked to pounce on Lichaj's cross.

Fox produced a fine block to deny Scannell rasping drive before Lascelles came close with a header that landed on the roof of the net from David Vaughan's corner.

Fox then was on hand to stop Bunn from connecting with Tommy Smith's cross but Town were two up on 20 minutes.

Holt was the provider with a cross from the left that led to Wells heading home with a stooping header on his 150th league appearance.

A quick throw from Michail Antonio caught the Town defence cold but Assombalonga took too many touches when Ince was standing unmarked at the far post.

Holt headed over from Wells cross but it took a last-ditch heroic block from Lynch to deny Ince a certain goal after the winger was put through by Vaughan.

Forest goalkeeper Karl Darlow produced a smart save to deny Bunn on 42 minutes before the Town winger was denied a certain penalty by an offside flag.

The first 45 minutes was end-to-end stuff and the Town fans stood to applaud as they went in 2-0 up at the break.

Forest came at Town early in the second half and Assombalonga set up Antonio inside the box but the former Sheffield Wednesday man fired straight at Smithies.

Holt came close in connecting with Scannell's low cross but the man on loan from Wigan Athletic made no mistake on 53 minutes to put the match to bed.

Scannell advanced down the right and from his neat pull-back, Holt lashed the ball passed Darlow from the edge of the area.

Assombalonga might have pulled one back for Forest as he advanced into the penalty area but he was denied by a superb block from Smithies, who was quick off his line to thwart the striker.

With half an hour of the match left, Forest made a triple substitution, as Jack Hunt, Ben Osborn and Chris Burke replaced Lichaj, Robert Tesche and Vaughan.

Ince hit a free-kick straight at the wall after Lynch had brought down Assombalonga whilst at the other end Darlow pulled of a superb stop to deny Conor Coady's thunderbolt from the edge of the box.

Smithies saved brilliantly from Antonio's low shot but Ince could only find the side netting on the rebound.

Chris Burke almost scored a spectacular long-range effort that crashed off the underside of the bar and away to safety after cutting inside from the left flank.

Substitute Hunt nearly grabbed a consolation goal against his former club but Smithies was on hand to deny the defender and the former Terrier had another effort minutes later that deflected wide.

Forest piled on pressure towards the end but Town held on to the clean sheet and deservedly so.

Sean's Star Man - Jacob Butterfield


Huddersfield: Smithies, Smith, Hudson, Lynch, Robinson, Scannell (Ward 87), Butterfield, Coady, Bunn, Holt (Paterson 90+1), Wells (Peltier 81).
Subs not used: Murphy, Dixon, Wallace, Gerrard.

Nottm Forest: Darlow, Lichaj (Hunt 60), Manncienne, Lascelles, Fox, Tesche (Burke 60), Vaughan (Osborn 60), Lansbury, Ince, Antonio, Assombalonga.
Subs not used: de Vries, Harding, Veldwijk, Paterson.

Referee: Andy Davies

Attendance: 15,317 (3,011 away)

This report written by the author also appears on Football League World.


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011