Report - Bolton Wanderers 1-0 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 30/11/2014
Huddersfield Town slipped to a third straight away defeat as Bolton grabbed all three points in a scrappy encounter at the Macron Stadium.Report - Bolton Wanderers 1-0 Huddersfield Town

Craig Davies scored the only goal of the game midway through the second half to grab his fifth goal of the season and gave The Trotters their fourth home win in as many games.

Bolton boss Neil Lennon was quick to heap praise on goalkeeper Andy Lonergan, who made two vital saves to stop Town from scoring.

The match lacked quality at times, particularly in the final third from both sides, but Town battled nonetheless.

Chris Powell made three changes from the side that drew with Sheffield Wednesday at the John Smith's Stadium a week prior. Goalkeeper Alex Smithies was recalled as well as left-back Jack Robinson and striker Nahki Wells.

Joe Murphy, who produced a solid display against Wednesday, was ruled out with a foot injury, Paul Dixon was on the bench and Harry Bunn was out with a thigh strain.

Bolton were unchanged after going three matches unbeaten.

The hosts had the first clear-cut chance on 10 minutes when Davies smashed a shot against the underside of the crossbar after being picked out by Lee Chung-Yong.

Davies tested Smithies with a long-range effort before having a penalty shout turned down when Mark Hudson's foul on the Welshman was ruled to be outside of the area.

Hudson picked up a yellow card for the foul but Liam Feeney wasted a set-piece from a good position by firing high over the bar.

Sean Scannell was causing problems down the right flank and on one occasion he left Matt Mills for dead but over hit the low cross towards Wells.

Diego Poyet was in the right place to block Lee Chung-Yong's goal bound shot.

The man on loan from West Ham was then involved in Town's best chance of the first 45 right on half-time. Starting the move that saw Jacob Butterfield set up Wells inside the penalty area but Lonergan pulled off a superb save to deny the Bermudian.

Town were quickest out of the blocks in the second half with Scannell sent clear down the right wing by Conor Coady and the winger's low cross looked a simple tap in for Butterfield - only to see Lonergran pull off a top draw save.

Butterfield then sent Grant Holt through and the striker won the 50:50 as Lonergan rushed out of his goal but unfortunately for Town the ball flew just wide of the post.

Murry Wallace, on as a sub at half-time for the injured Joel Lynch, breathed a sigh of relief as he sliced his clearance wide of the goal from Davies' shot.

The deadlock was broken on 67 minutes. Chung-Yong began the move that sent Feeney clear in the Town box and the former Millwall winger squared the ball to Davies to tap in from close range.

Smithies denied Feeney from grabbing a goal himself whilst at the other end Wallace headed wide from Butterfield's set-piece when Holt was better placed.

Former Town loanee Neil Danns hit a long-range effort straight at Smithies but Bolton saw out the victory that sees the Trotters go above The Terriers in the league, level on points.

Town drop to 19th in the Championship, three points above the drop zone, and face in-form Brentford next Saturday at the John Smith's.


Bolton: Lonergan, Vela, Mills, Dervite, Ream, Danns, Pratley, Feeney (Hall 87), Lee Chung-Yong, Clayton, Davies.
Subs not used: Bogdan, Moxey, Spearing, Mason, Trotter, Threlkeld.

Huddersfield Town: Smithies, Smith, Hudson, Lynch (Wallace 45), Robinson, Butterfield, Coady, Poyet (Lolley 76), Scannell (Ward 90+5), Holt, Wells.
Subs not used: Allinson, Dixon, Hogg, Peltier.

Referee: Carl Berry
Attendance: 15,924 (1,962 away fans).


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011