Match Report - Huddersfield Town 3-1 Watford

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 11/01/2015
Huddersfield Town produced a solid display to earn a deserved win over Championship promotion contenders Watford at a windy John Smith's Stadium.Match Report - Huddersfield Town 3-1 Watford

After a goalless first half, Nahki Wells put Town in front with a finish from close range.

A goalkeeping error from Alex Smithies gave Watford an equaliser through substitute Odion Ighalo but his blushes were saved as James Vaughan put Huddersfield back in front before Joel Lynch sealed the win with a superb overhead kick.

There were four changes to the Town side that lost to Reading in the FA last Saturday. Murray Wallace and Harry Bunn were both out with hamstring injuries but defender Lynch returned after a six-game lay-off with a groin problem.

Oscar Gobern made his first start of the season as Jonathan Hogg was suspended, and Sean Scannell and Jacob Butterfield returned to the starting XI.

Watford themselves made four changes as they handed a debut to Mexican full-back Miguel Layun. Gomes, Almen Abdi and Matej Vydra also returned to the Hornets starting line-up.

Vydra was straight into the action as he saw his goal bound effort deflected wide by Mark Hudson.

Scannell was causing Watford problems down the right flank but fired a shot wide after getting into a good position.

He found himself in a good position again moments later but was caught in two minds and the chance came to nothing.

Abdi pounced on a loose ball from Lynch to set up Troy Deeney but the Watford captain was blocked by Jack Robinson.

Vaughan fired over when put through on goal by Wells and Wells too saw his header tipped over the bar by Gomes.

Gianni Munari stung the hands of Smithies with a rasping half-volley whilst Gomes did well to hold on to a shot from Butterfield that came through a crowd of bodies.

Just minutes into the second half Watford were close to taking the lead but Smithies denied Layun a debut goal.

The deadlock was broken on 51 minutes when Butterfield advanced down the left wing to produce a low cross that saw Wells fire in from close range for his 11th goal of the season.

Robinson went close twice in as many minutes when his cross looped on to the crossbar and then the QPR loanee tried a long range effort that flew just over.

Watford then made three changes on 63 minutes. Gomes was forced off with an injury and was replaced by Jonathan Bond. Slavisa Jokanovic also threw on attackers Ighalo and Ikechi Anya to try and change the Hornets fortunes.

The changes worked as Ighalo made an immediate impact as he levelled on 65 minutes. The striker forced his way into the Town penalty area and his low shot squirmed under the body of Smithies and into the net.

The Terriers responded positively and were unlucky not to regain the lead when Gobern's header was cleared off the line.

Sure enough Town kept plugging away and they were rewarded when Wells' pass was brilliantly flicked into the back of the net by Vaughan.

The match was wrapped up in style on 83 minutes when Robinson's long ball into the box was headed on by Hudson and Lynch produced an excellent overhead kick which went in off the cross bar.

It was a deserved win for Town as they produced a solid display against one of the Championship promotion hopefuls.

The three points pushes the Terriers up to 15th in the league.


Huddersfield: Smithies, Smith, Hudson, Lynch, Robinson, Scannell, Coady, Butterfield, Gobern, Wells, Vaughan (Lolley 90+2).
Subs not used: Allinson, Dixon, Crooks, Billing, Peltier, Majewski.

Watford: Gomes (Bond 63), Hoban, Cathcart, Angella, Layun, Munari, Tozser, Abdi, Pudil (Anya 64), Deeney, Vydra (Ighalo 64).
Subs not used: Parades, Murray, Doherty, Smith.

Referee: Chris Kavanagh
Attendance: 13,843.


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011