Report - Wigan Athletic 0-1 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 25/01/2015
A late goal from Huddersfield Town midfielder Conor Coady gave the Terriers their first away win since October and condemned Wigan Athletic to a fourth defeat in five games.Report - Wigan Athletic 0-1 Huddersfield Town

It was a scrappy affair throughout but Town edged it and Coady grabbed the deserved winner with eight minutes remaining.

Malky Mackay's Wigan side rarely troubled Town goalkeeper Alex Smithies and found defender Joel Lynch in fine form.

The result pushed Chris Powell's side into 15th in the Championship, 11 points clear of the relegation zone.

The surprise news before the match was the announcement of James Vaughan in the starting line-up. The striker had suffered a facial injury in the defeat to Middlesbrough a week prior but was given the all clear by a specialist to feature wearing a protective mask.

New loan signing David Edgar also started in place of the injured Jonathan Hogg.

Town were straight out of the blocks, forcing a corner within two minutes, and a chance fell to Nahki Wells but the striker fired over.

Wigan's James McClean fired over at the other end and claims for a penalty were turned down moments later when Leon Barnett appeared to have been brought down in the box.

Tommy Smith got in a vital block to deny McClean and Chris McCann could only fire the follow-up straight at Smithies.

Town's best chances of the first half came within quick succession. First Liam Ridgewell did well to clear Wells' goalbound header off the line and five minutes later Martyn Waghorn was on the line to deny Mark Hudson's header from a Jacob Butterfield corner.

Wigan started the second half better of the two sides and their best chance fell to McClean just before the hour mark but the Irishman headed over from Callum McManaman's cross.

At the other end Wells fired into the side netting after Butterfield's cross evaded everyone and the Bermudan had a great opportunity minutes later but took many touches which allowed Wigan to clear.

Latics goalkeeper Scott Carson denied Vaughan and pulled off a smart save to deny Butterfield's long range effort.

Town's pressure paid off on 82 minutes. Wells chased a lost cause and played the ball back to Coady on the left flank. With time and space, the former Liverpool midfielder hit a high curling effort into the top corner that gave Carson no chance.

It was now about seeing out the game and the Terriers did despite an astonishing eight minutes of time added on.


Wigan: Carson, Perch, Barnett, Ridgewell, Taylor, McCann (Cowie 56), Kvist, Huws, McManaman (Delort 66), Waghorn (Fortune 56), McClean.
Subs not used: Al Habsi, Boyce, Forshaw, Cosgrove.

Huddersfield: Smithies, Smith, Hudson, Lynch, Robinson, Coady, Edgar (Wallace 86), Butterfield, Scannell, Vaughan, Wells (Bunn 90+3).
Subs not used: Allinson, Dixon, Lolley, Gobern, Majewski.

Referee: Steve Martin
Attendance: 12,064


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011