Report - Huddersfield Town 2-2 Norwich City

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 18/03/2015
A last-gasp equaliser from Norwich City substitute Jamar Loza rescued a point for the Canaries to deny what looked a certain victory for Huddersfield Town.Report - Huddersfield Town 2-2 Norwich City

It all happened in stoppage-time as James Vaughan hit what looked likely to be the winner on 94 minutes but Loza rescued a point with the last kick of the match in the 8th minute of time added on to take the share of the spoils.

And to make matters worse, Vaughan was shown a second yellow card for his celebration which now means the striker is suspended for the visit of Fulham on Saturday.

Ishmael Miller had put the Terriers in front with his second goal for the club but Wes Hoolahan, on as a sub, replied for the visitors.

Even so a point isn't that bad for Town against a side who are in the promotion hunt and had won seven in their last nine matches prior to kick-off.

Town boss Chris Powell was forced to make three changes from the side that drew with Birmingham City at the weekend. Out went Jack Robinson (knee), Harry Bunn (hamstring) and Joe Lolley (hip), in came Jake Carroll, Sean Scannell and Ishmael Miller.

Miller was straight into the action with a shot straight at Norwich goalkeeper John Ruddy.

A controversial moment at the other end on six minutes when Norwich winger Nathan Redmond made light work on the Town defence down the right flank and crossed for Cameron Jerome, whose knock down was put into the net by Bradley Johnson.

The Town players protested vigorously and after initially giving the goal, referee Nigel Miller disallowed the goal for handball after consulting his assistant. Johnson was also booked for his troubles.

Former Norwich striker Vaughan fired wide after being set up by Conor Coady and he was again in the thick of the action as he brought out a good save from Ruddy after being put through by Miller.

Gary Hooper had the best chance of the first half to open the scoring just before the break. The striker somehow managed to make a mess of it from close range after Jonny Howson jinxed his way through the Town defence.

Johnson fired wide early in the second half after being set up by Redmond but it was the home side that took the lead on 55 minutes.

Miller spun past Sebastien Bassong after receiving the ball from Jacob Butterfield before rounding the stranded Ruddy to fire the ball into the back of the net.

Norwich upped the tempo after going behind but their finishing let them down. This time Howson fired wide after being set up from Graham Dorrans.

Ireland international Wes Hoolahan was brought off the bench on 62 minutes and struck the equaliser five minutes later.

After a neat passing move involving Redmond and Howson, the Irishman calmly slotted the ball into the back of the net.

It looked as though it was to finish 1-1 until in the fourth minute of the added on five. Butterfield played a one-two with sub Oscar Gobern on the left byline and the midfielder's cut back saw Vaughan fire into the back of the net.

The Town striker took his shirt off in the celebrations that followed and referee Miller showed him a second yellow card.

The referee allowed an extra three minutes in which time Loza was in the right place to fire into the net from Dorrans' scuffed shot.


Huddersfield: Smithies, Smith, Hudson, Lynch, Carroll (Edgar 70), Coady, Hogg, Butterfield, Scannell, Miller (Gobern 77), Vaughan.
Subs not used: Murphy, Wallace, Holmes, Charles, Majewski.

Norwich: Ruddy, Whittaker, Martin, Bassong, Olsson, Dorrans, Redmond, Johnson (Hoolahan 62), Howson (Loza 87), Hooper (Andreu 78), Jerome.
Subs not used: Rudd, Cuellar, Tettey, Odjidja-Ofoe.

Referee: Nigel Miller
Attendance: 11,879.


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011