Report - Nottm Forest 0-1 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 12/04/2015
Sean Scannell's first half strike gave Huddersfield Town back-to-back wins for the first time since December - and their first win over Nottingham Forest at the City Ground since 2000.Report - Nottm Forest 0-1 Huddersfield Town

The winger latched on to Jacob Butterfield's superb pass to chip the ball into the back of the net just before the break.

Both sides had chances but the Town defence held firm and goalkeeper Alex Smithies produced some excellent saves.

Chris Powell named an unchanged starting XI after seeing his side beat Ipswich Town 2-1 at the John Smith's Stadium five days earlier, but midfielder Jonathan Hogg returned to take a place on the substitute bench as on-loan Radoslaw Majewksi was ineligible to play against his parent club.

Forest had the possession early on and had a penalty shout turned down when Chuba Akpom went down in the area under minimal contact from Tommy Smith.

Butterfield picked out James Vaughan with a neat cross but the striker failed to find the target with a header.

Forest goalkeeper Karl Darlow saved Butterfield's shot from the edge of the area while at the other end Akpom wasted a glorious chance to put the home side in the lead.

Oscar Gobern could have put Town in front just before the half hour but his effort was easily saved by Darlow.

Chris Burke cut inside Conor Coady to fire a shot at goal that Smithies was equal to but Town got their noses in front on 43 minutes.

Butterfield received the ball from Gobern inside the Forest half and played a defence splitting pass into the path of Scannell; the winger took a touch to compose himself and neatly lifted the ball over Darlow to put Town in the lead.

Burke remained a threat into the second half but could not find the target but sub Tyler Walker did only for Smithies to produce a superb stop to deny the 18-year-old.

Forest did have the ball in the back of the net when Walker played in Akpom to tap in from close range but the goal was ruled out by the linesman's flag.

Vaughan attempted a scissor kick that flew wide and then hit a shot from the edge of the area that failed to hit the target.

With the game drawing to a close, Michael Mancienne wasted a great opportunity to get his team back to the game. The Forest defender was picked out by Burke from a corner but the former Chelsea man saw his effort superbly tipped over the bar by Smithies.

As the game ticked towards added time, sub Ishmael Miller had a chance to score against his former club but fired harmlessly wide from close range after being picked out by Gobern.


Nottingham Forest: Darlow, Lichaj, Hobbs, Wilson, Fox, Mancienne, C.Burke, Lansbury (Osborn 64), Vaughan (Walker 55), Antonio (O.Burke 75), Akpom.
Subs not used: Evtimov, Lascelles, Kane, Paterson.

Huddersfield Town: Smithies, Smith, Hudson, Lynch, Scannell, Coady, Gobern, Butterfield (Wallace 93), James, Vaughan (Miller 88), Wells (Hogg 78).
Subs not used: Murphy, Edgar, Lolley, Carroll.

Referee: Darren Deadman
Attendance: 21,572.


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011